PDA

View Full Version : Layur/ribbon fish wiht jigging

candra
17-06-2007, 23:12
Ternyata mancing layur bisa juga menggunakan teknik jiggging.

Berikut kutipan dari japanangler.com :

Ribbon Fish

Pulled a 24 hour run to Mie Prefeture this past weekend to get in on some of the country’s best ribbon fish angling. Well, to make a long story short, we came back with full cooler boxes and lots of smiles. Tired out as I am two days after making the trip, I’d do it again this weekend if my friends said they wanted to give it another go.

I had never seen or heard of a ribbon fish prior to coming to Japan. As it turns out these guys live all over the world. My uncle back home was telling me he remembered catching a few in some fishing holes back in coastal Louisiana. Another buddy of mine told me that ribbon fish are a choice bait for catching king mackeral in Florida. Well here’s a new twist. Here in Japan, ribbon fish are highly sought after game. They’re insanely fun to catch, and really good eating. As of recent I’ve come to enjoy going fishing for these guys more than seabass.

Ribbon fish can be taken pretty much year around, but they depending on the time of year they’ll be at different depths. I’m still trying to get a full sense of where and when it’s best to target them, because I keep hearing completely different explanations from different ‘experts’ I talk to. The thing I do notice about ribbon fish behavior is that they tend to be concentrated at a very thin depth range. For example, if the captain says he sees the fish 10 meters from the seafloor, he means at exactly ten meters, and not anywhere above or below that depth. I’m thinking this is because ribbon fish don’t swim parallel to the seafloor or surface, but rather ’stand up’ in the sense that their natural swimming postion is perpendicular to the seafloor.

ribbonfish in their natural swimming position

Anyway, jigging for tachiuo, as they are called in Japanese, is a little more challenging than catching seabass for the above mentioned reasons and a few others. I personally find this species to be a little more selective about what it bites into and doesnt. That could be just my own imagination though.

Tacklewise, tachiuo anglers often use heavier jigs which are designed a little different from the types used for seabass fishing. Of course heavier jig weights are necessary in order to get down deeper to where the fish are, but also to keep the attitude of the jig more vertically oriented. Because ribbon fish are concentrated in very specific depth ranges, it’s not necessary to have your jig bouncing as diagonally as ones does with other types of jigging. Intead one simply needs to figure out exactly where the fish are, drop to that depth and bounce the jig around in front of them.

watch out for those teeth!

Ribbon fish strike the center of their pray basically snapping it in half. Tachiou jigs are designed with rings to attach hooks at both the center and the rear. This is done to have hooks placed near where the fish is likely to strike and to keep the head of the fish as far away from the leader as possible. Their sharp teeth will bite through really thick leader and even braid. Another difference is that treble hooks are used instead of your typical braided assists. If you take a look at the morphology of these critters it’s easy to see why.

Ribbon fishing is done with light tackle. Basically the same types of bay jigging tackle I’ve spoken about in previous posts. Most folks use PE in the 0.8 to 1.5 range, but I’ve seen some guys who jig offshore using 1.5 to 3 on Ocea Jiggers and Saltigas. I prefer to use bait reels over spin gear because I can control how fast line comes of the spool and feel more strikes on the drop, which occur very frequently. Spin gear is effective for tachiwo, but I’ve found it to be a little more troublesome.

I’m hoping to get out for some more of these guys in the coming weeks. If anyone is interested I may do a follow up post with some more details and finer points of tachiuo fishing. Be cool

japanangler.com

Danny Kurniawan
18-06-2007, 17:29
Ternyata mancing layur bisa juga menggunakan teknik jiggging.

Berikut kutipan dari japanangler.com :

Ribbon Fish

Pulled a 24 hour run to Mie Prefeture this past weekend to get in on some of the country’s best ribbon fish angling. Well, to make a long story short, we came back with full cooler boxes and lots of smiles. Tired out as I am two days after making the trip, I’d do it again this weekend if my friends said they wanted to give it another go.

I had never seen or heard of a ribbon fish prior to coming to Japan. As it turns out these guys live all over the world. My uncle back home was telling me he remembered catching a few in some fishing holes back in coastal Louisiana. Another buddy of mine told me that ribbon fish are a choice bait for catching king mackeral in Florida. Well here’s a new twist. Here in Japan, ribbon fish are highly sought after game. They’re insanely fun to catch, and really good eating. As of recent I’ve come to enjoy going fishing for these guys more than seabass.

Ribbon fish can be taken pretty much year around, but they depending on the time of year they’ll be at different depths. I’m still trying to get a full sense of where and when it’s best to target them, because I keep hearing completely different explanations from different ‘experts’ I talk to. The thing I do notice about ribbon fish behavior is that they tend to be concentrated at a very thin depth range. For example, if the captain says he sees the fish 10 meters from the seafloor, he means at exactly ten meters, and not anywhere above or below that depth. I’m thinking this is because ribbon fish don’t swim parallel to the seafloor or surface, but rather ’stand up’ in the sense that their natural swimming postion is perpendicular to the seafloor.

ribbonfish in their natural swimming position

Anyway, jigging for tachiuo, as they are called in Japanese, is a little more challenging than catching seabass for the above mentioned reasons and a few others. I personally find this species to be a little more selective about what it bites into and doesnt. That could be just my own imagination though.

Tacklewise, tachiuo anglers often use heavier jigs which are designed a little different from the types used for seabass fishing. Of course heavier jig weights are necessary in order to get down deeper to where the fish are, but also to keep the attitude of the jig more vertically oriented. Because ribbon fish are concentrated in very specific depth ranges, it’s not necessary to have your jig bouncing as diagonally as ones does with other types of jigging. Intead one simply needs to figure out exactly where the fish are, drop to that depth and bounce the jig around in front of them.

watch out for those teeth!

Ribbon fish strike the center of their pray basically snapping it in half. Tachiou jigs are designed with rings to attach hooks at both the center and the rear. This is done to have hooks placed near where the fish is likely to strike and to keep the head of the fish as far away from the leader as possible. Their sharp teeth will bite through really thick leader and even braid. Another difference is that treble hooks are used instead of your typical braided assists. If you take a look at the morphology of these critters it’s easy to see why.

Ribbon fishing is done with light tackle. Basically the same types of bay jigging tackle I’ve spoken about in previous posts. Most folks use PE in the 0.8 to 1.5 range, but I’ve seen some guys who jig offshore using 1.5 to 3 on Ocea Jiggers and Saltigas. I prefer to use bait reels over spin gear because I can control how fast line comes of the spool and feel more strikes on the drop, which occur very frequently. Spin gear is effective for tachiwo, but I’ve found it to be a little more troublesome.

I’m hoping to get out for some more of these guys in the coming weeks. If anyone is interested I may do a follow up post with some more details and finer points of tachiuo fishing. Be cool

japanangler.com

memang bisa boss,
saya sdh pernah strike layur sekitar 5 kali dengan tehnik jigging short jerk, lokasinya ga jauh cm beberapa ratus meter dr hotel mambruk anyer.

candra
18-06-2007, 17:45
Bisa ya bro Danny, tapi sepertinya harus benar2 pas spotnya, baru bisa dapet ya?
Saya lihat di foto, ikannya ngumpul di dasaran berpasir, apa di anyer jigingnya sampai ke dasar?

Tks

Danny Kurniawan
24-06-2007, 12:56
Bisa ya bro Danny, tapi sepertinya harus benar2 pas spotnya, baru bisa dapet ya?
Saya lihat di foto, ikannya ngumpul di dasaran berpasir, apa di anyer jigingnya sampai ke dasar?

Tks

saya sih biasanya selalu nurunin jig sampai kedasar... tapi ga pernah strike layur deket dasar tuh... selalu dipertengahan air, begitu juga dengan barakuda. kalo spot saya kurang paham pak... saya pake perahu nelayan yg sederhana dan ekonomis sekali hehehe... :P
nelayan itu yg bawa saya kespotnya setelah sampai kapal dibiarkan terhanyut, menurut nelayan itu dispot itu ada kapal karamnya, tp ga tau jg sih, jig yg dipakai tipe lumo jig 60-80 gr

candra
24-06-2007, 21:12
Oke bro Danny, thanks for sharing;)

boedhenk
25-06-2007, 17:21
pengalaman saya disemarang, waktu itu saya mancing di DAM >satu lokasi pemancingan lepas laut semarang, ikan layur banyak muncul/lompat2 dipermukaaan air pas hari siang sekitar jam 11 atau jam 12*waktu makan siang ..hehehe
kalau sudah gini, saya lakukan teknik koncer, membiarkan udang idup disambar layur, sering berhasil lumayan disekitar dam tersebut ikan layur panjangnya sekitar 40 cm. :eek:

roel
25-06-2007, 17:28
pengalaman saya disemarang, waktu itu saya mancing di DAM >satu lokasi pemancingan lepas laut semarang, ikan layur banyak muncul/lompat2 dipermukaaan air pas hari siang sekitar jam 11 atau jam 12*waktu makan siang ..hehehe
kalau sudah gini, saya lakukan teknik koncer, membiarkan udang idup disambar layur, sering berhasil lumayan disekitar dam tersebut ikan layur panjangnya sekitar 40 cm. :eek:

hehehehhee kalo di koncer kemungkinan strike nya gede, ini pake teknik jigging lho pak....booingin ikan...:D

hendrosahadagi
25-06-2007, 18:01
saya sih biasanya selalu nurunin jig sampai kedasar... tapi ga pernah strike layur deket dasar tuh... selalu dipertengahan air, begitu juga dengan barakuda. kalo spot saya kurang paham pak... saya pake perahu nelayan yg sederhana dan ekonomis sekali hehehe... :P
nelayan itu yg bawa saya kespotnya setelah sampai kapal dibiarkan terhanyut, menurut nelayan itu dispot itu ada kapal karamnya, tp ga tau jg sih, jig yg dipakai tipe lumo jig 60-80 gr
berarti Vertical Jigging ya mas...???
pake Jig Spoon.. spinner ato Jig yg ringan??
Thx 4 the Info sebelumnya :)

tica
28-06-2007, 12:15
Sering juga loh kalo jigging di Binu disambar layur....
biasanya dia emang makannya sekitar 20 m aja dari permukaan dan terutama suka sekali ama lumo jigs...tapi ya itu harus bawa banyak serep kevlar utk assist hooknya...(sering rusak kena gigi layur) selain itu penggunaan kawat wajib hukumnya kalo ada layur.

oh ..layur ini enak/wangi banget kalo masih seger gitu kita goreng (langsung) pake mentega aja...gak usah dibumbuin apa-apa...

mantapffff..............

teri_nasi
28-06-2007, 12:34
Mancing layur cobain kalo lagi musim, Cari yang ukurannya sudah di atas 5 jari, biasanya sirip sepanjang tubuhnya bewarna kuning. Bisa dapet banyak. Cuma harap hati hati giginya tajam. Biasa cari di malam hari

Danny Kurniawan
01-07-2007, 10:29
berarti Vertical Jigging ya mas...???
pake Jig Spoon.. spinner ato Jig yg ringan??
Thx 4 the Info sebelumnya :)

Pake lumo jig sardine merk yozuri mas, tipe apapum mau kok yg penting malem dan ada posfornya,

Fish Finders
01-07-2007, 21:29
Mancing layur cobain kalo lagi musim, Cari yang ukurannya sudah di atas 5 jari, biasanya sirip sepanjang tubuhnya bewarna kuning. Bisa dapet banyak. Cuma harap hati hati giginya tajam. Biasa cari di malam hari
Layur memang sebaiknya malam hari, itu yang saya lihat waktu saya mancing di dermaga camplong sabtu malam kemaren (Itu yang dilakukan pemancing lokal di sana). Saya hanya bisa ngeliat mereka strike layur 4-5 jari berkali kali dengan menggunakan umpan baby belanak. Tepatnya saya hanya jadi penonton, karena umpan yang saya bawa cuman udang hidup. Rasanya saat ini di sana memang lagi musim layur juga.

hendrosahadagi
02-07-2007, 09:03
Pake lumo jig sardine merk yozuri mas, tipe apapum mau kok yg penting malem dan ada posfornya,
Thx... 4 Respond..mas Danny :)
btw. Lumo Jig nya yg brp. Gram mas...???
Kalo ada pic nya, boleh dunk di Share :)
Thank U